A week of events across London celebrating Mezcal, Mexican Culture, Art and Food, culminating in the UK's biggest 2 day Mezcal Tasting Festival.
- Various Locations, Click book now to view events
- 11/09/2017 to 17/09/2017
Starting from £10
Book via designmynight.com
Taking place from Monday 11th to Sunday 17th September across London, the first official London Mezcal Week will be a series of events in London that celebrate Mezcal, Mexican culture, art and food, ending with a two-‐day tasting festival and Mexico Independence Day celebration.
Organised by two of London’s most exciting Mezcal enthusiasts, Thea Cumming and Melanie Symonds, the founders of Dangerous Don and Quiquiriqui Mezcals respectively, the series of events will be produced by Lucie Massey, who organises the sell-‐out pop-‐up series Slap Ya Papa. Together, the trio hope to provide a platform for all kinds of people to explore the culture of traditional Mezcal production, as well as taking a closer look at Mexican art, film and food.
Throughout the week, a series of social events in venues across the city will champion the diverse creativity of Mexico as well as the magical story of the agave plant, from which Mezcal is made. From art exhibitions and panel discussions, to the creation of a Mexican mural, mezcal masterclasses and food pairings, each event will uncover the fascinating world of Mezcal and its place in Mexican culture. The series of events are as follows:
● Monday - A Mezcal Pairing Dinner with Edson Diaz-Fuentes, at his restaurant Santo Remedio
● Tuesday – Mezcal sampler with Mezcal Master Jon Anders at Santo restaurant
● Wednesday - Panel Discussion “The Future of Mezcal” and Blind Tasting at The Bloomsbury Club Bar
● Wednesday – Coffee, Chocolate & Mezcal tasting at Wahaca, Charlotte Street
● Thursday – Bartender’s Brunch at Café Pacifico
● Friday – El Grito! At Pop Brixton
● Friday – Independence day party at Club Makossa
● Saturday - Tasting Festival at Unit 5 Gallery & Yard
● Sunday -Tasting Festival at Unit 5 Gallery & Yard
The headline tasting event, held over 2 days in Hackney, will feature the UK’s biggest ever Mezcal tasting, where ticket holders can taste over 30 mezcals and talk to many of the faces behind the brands. Independent brands are given precedence at this festival, which will be focusing on traditionally made mezcals and the families behind them. A proportion of ticket sales will go towards charities working within the agave community. For those looking to make a day of it, there will also be an array of Mexican street food, a mezcal bar serving cocktails, beers and more, and a programme of art, DJS and live music over the weekend event.
Some of London’s best Mexican restaurants will be involved in events throughout the week including Bad Sports, El Pastor, Santo Remedio and Temper, and there will be a pop up Mezcaleria running at the tasting event selling custom designed cocktails from some of London’s leading bartenders and brands such as The London Essence Company.